REVIEW OF RESEARCH ARTICLE GUIDELINES
- Choose one psychology research or review article on a topic related to psychological disorders/mental illness/abnormal psychology
- It must be from a professional journal (such as Journal of Clinical Psychology, Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Schizophrenia Bulletin, etc.). If you have any questions about where to find professional psychology journals, visit your local library and speak to the reference librarian and/or access scholarly search engines such as PsycInfo, MedLine, or Google Scholar. (Try accessing via the UCLA Library website with your student login, or from a University library computer)
- It should have been published in the last 10 years.
- It should be at least 5 pages in length.
- Read the article thoroughly and make sure you can answer the following:
- Why did the authors conduct this study? What need did it fill in the field?
- If research article:
- What is the relevant background research and theory needed to understand the authors’ hypotheses?
- What are the authors’ hypotheses?
- What, generally, were the methods? (i.e. how did the researchers go about doing this research?) Who were the participants/research subjects? What tests or procedures did they have to do?
- You DO NOT have to understand technical and statistical descriptions of the Methods
- What, generally, did the results show? Were the author’s hypotheses supported or not?
- You DO NOT have to understand the statistics involved in the authors’ calculations of the results.
- If review article:
- What were the general conclusions in the field on this topic prior to this study? Were there unchecked assumptions, a major theoretical controversy, or just confusion surrounding this topic?
- How did the authors select the articles they reviewed for this study?
- Can you identify some surprising findings among the studies reviewed by the authors?
- How did the authors resolve apparently contradictory findings among the studies they reviewed?
- What are the implications of this study for the field? What do we know now that we didn’t know before they conducted this study?
- What are the potential weaknesses and limitations of this study?
- The format of your paper should be as follows:
- Please use approximately 1.5-2.0 line spacing, 10-12 point font
- Title (and don’t forget to include your name, the date, this class, etc.)
- Bibliography entry for the article you reviewed (in any standard style: MLA, APA, AMA, etc.)
- Body of the paper (at least 2-3 pages, or 500-750 words) covering the following:
- Your answers to the above questions
- Your critique of this source (its thoroughness, presence of any bias, do the methods seem adequate for addressing the stated goal, how clearly written, how trustworthy does it seem to be, etc.)
- Concluding paragraph stating what conclusions about the topic you would make after reviewing this article, and what further questions you have that you would like to see addressed in future research.
- Please include a printed copy of your article and staple it to your paper.
Your review is due at the beginning of class on Wednesday, May 9.