For each pair of objects, write a short essay in which you
• identify a conceptual theme important for understanding both objects
• compare and contrast how the objects engage with that theme
• support your claims by using formal analysis, ideas from course
lectures, and specific readings when applicable
• use appropriate art-historical terms and concepts whenever possible
• move back and forth between the objects rather than describing each
Consider the images with as artistic statements. Probably it would start with a list of formal qualities, then discuss what kind of meaning those formal qualities are producing given the context. So if you started talking about softness in the context of the older image, what intention could the artist have had or what meaning does the softness create for the viewer? Start there and then introduce more elements to elaborate on the meaning of the work as you make your comparison.
Each comparison should be independent. In other words, write four separate essay.
There is no need to separate paragraphs. Introduction and conclusion are not important. It is preferable that one comparison is about 200 words.
I would also like to refer to this essay for sentences that compare other art photographs. I want useful phrases that can be used when comparing other works, and sentences that can be used to compare different works by changing words. Therefore, please do not use the title of the work.