Discuss tools for quality improvement.
Develop a plan for improvement of the issue/problem
Identify and describe a concern or problem related to patient care
that you have noticed and believe needs to be improved. Is there a
standard or guideline that is not being adhered to?
• How do you know that this is a problem?
o What evidence do you have that leads you to believe there is
o Describe data that may be available to you: observationsthat
you have made or patient/family complaints that have been
• State and discuss which of the 6 IOM aims this problem relatesto
(safe, timely, effective, equitable, efficient, or patient centered).
• Discuss the type of data that has been collected or needs to be
collected to understand progress on improving this specific aspect of
care. Review the Avedis Donabedian and identify the structure,
process, or outcome.
• Discuss the tools you will use to better clarify the concern or
problem (control chart, histogram, Ishikawa fishbonediagram).
• What other nursing staff would you include in the project and why?
(List initials not full names)
• What staff in addition to the nursing staff would you include in this
project and why? (List initials not full names)
• Describe the Plan, Do, Study, and Act (PDSA) cycle that you
would use as a test of change to improve the care related to the
problem you identified.