Our academic experts are ready and waiting to assist with any writing project you may have. From simple essay plans, through to full dissertations, you can guarantee we have a service perfectly matched to your needs.
GET A 40% DISCOUNT ON YOU FIRST ORDER
See uploaded PDF for detailed instructions & grading criteria.
To successfully complete this assessment, perform the following preparatory activities:
• Select a single direct or indirect patient care technology that is relevant to your current practice or of interest to you. Direct patient care technologies require an interaction, or direct contact, between the nurse and patient. Nurses use direct patient care technologies every day when delivering care to patients. Electronic thermometers or pulse oximeters are examples of direct patient care technologies. Indirect patient care technologies, on the other hand, are those employed on behalf of the patient. They do not require interaction, or direct contact, between the nurse and patient. A handheld device for patient documentation is an example of an indirect patient care technology. Examples of topics to consider for your annotated bibliography include:
o Electronic medication administration with barcoding. (My second choice)
o Electronic clinical documentation with clinical decision support.
o Telehealth. ( I would prefer this one. In the public health clinic I work at we utilize our telehealth cart and room for patients who need to have a consult visit with their specialist/Dr who is located 1.5 hours away)
o Workflow management systems.
• Scan the search results related to your chosen technology.
• Select four peer-reviewed publications focused on your selected topic that are the most interesting to you.
• Evaluate the impact of patient care technologies on desired outcomes.
o Analyze current evidence on the impact of a selected patient care technology on patient safety, quality of care, and the interdisciplinary team.
o Integrate current evidence about the impact of a selected patient care technology on patient safety, quality of care, and the interdisciplinary team into a recommendation.
• Publications may be research studies or review articles from a professional source. Newspapers, magazines, and blogs are not considered professional sources.
Prepare a 4–6 page annotated bibliography in which you identify and describe peer-reviewed publications that promote the use of your selected technology to enhance quality and safety standards in nursing. Be sure that your annotated bibliography includes all of the following elements:
• Introduction to the Selected Technology Topic
o What is your rationale for selecting this particular technology topic? Why are you interested in this?
o What research process did you employ?
o Which databases did you use?
o Which search terms did you use?
o Note: In this section of your bibliography, you may use first person since you are asked to describe your rationale for selecting the topic and the research strategies you employed. Use third person in the rest of the bibliography, however.
o For each resource, include the full reference followed by the annotation.
o Explain the focus of the research or review article you chose.
o Provide a summary overview of the publication.
o According to this source, what is the impact of this technology on patient safety and quality of care?
o According to this source, what is the relevance of this technology to nursing practice and the work of the interdisciplinary health care team?
o Why did you select this publication to write about out of the many possible options? In other words, make the case as to why this resource is important for health care practitioners to read.
o How would you tie together the key learnings from each of the four publications you examined?
o What organizational factors influence the selection of a technology in a health care setting? Consider such factors as organizational policies, resources, culture/social norms, commitment, training programs, and/or employee empowerment.
o How would you justify the implementation and use of the technology in a health care setting? Consider the impact of the technology on the health care organization, patient care/satisfaction, and interdisciplinary team productivity, satisfaction, and retention.