### Task Overview:
**Objective:** Apply theoretical concepts in pragmatics to analyze an extract from Sting’s memoir, “Broken Music.” Attached as “text_for_analysis.pdf”
1. **Co-text level analysis:**
– Focus on grammatical and lexical coherence.
– Analyze microphenomena within the text, such as word choice, sentence structure, and local coherence.
2. **Context level analysis:**
– Expansion level analysis (macrophenomena).
– Higher order predicates level (meta-phenomena).
– This involves understanding the broader context and implications of the text, including cultural, situational, and historical elements.
3. **Politeness and Negative Politeness Analysis:**
– Apply concepts of politeness theory to the text.
– Investigate how negative politeness strategies are employed.
### Framework for Analysis:
**Cicourel’s Model (1980):**
– Utilize Cicourel’s model as the foundational framework.
– Emphasize on both the observable (co-text) and inferable (context) aspects of meaning.
### Structuring the Analysis:
– Briefly introduce the text and its relevance to the study of pragmatics.
– Outline the approach and theoretical frameworks to be used.
2. **Key Words:**
– Identify and justify the selection of not more than five key words relevant to the analysis.
3. **Discussion of Findings:**
– **Co-text Analysis:**
– Detail the grammatical and lexical coherence found in the text.
– Discuss specific examples of microphenomena.
– **Context Analysis:**
– Expand on the macro and meta-phenomena.
– Explore how the text’s meaning extends beyond its immediate lexical and grammatical features.
– **Politeness Analysis:**
– Examine instances of politeness and negative politeness.
– Analyze how these strategies affect the interpretation of the text.
– Summarize key findings.
– Reflect on the implications of these findings for understanding the pragmatic aspects of the text.
### Submission Details:
– ** File format: Microsoft Word ).doc or .docx)
– **Formatting:** Font size 12, Times New Roman.
### Additional Notes for Students:
– Focus on applying theory to practice.
– Ensure that each part of the analysis is grounded in relevant theoretical concepts.
– Be critical and innovative in your analysis.
– Remember, the goal is to demonstrate deep understanding and practical application of pragmatic theories, not just to recount them.
### Task Overview: