The reflection paper of a piece of Richard Estes’s work:
“Oriental Cuisine” (Color screen print)
Richard Estes 1974
Research the history of the work.
- When did the artist create his/her most compelling works?
- Was the work created during transitional points in their career?
- How does the subject matter relate to or reflect the current social, political, and/or cultural issues?
- What is the subject matter?
- Why is the artist focusing on this particular subject or topic?
- How is it relevant? Is it purely an objective, formal study or do the characters and objects that make up the composition symbolism a broader issue?
- How do the formal elements of the overall composition unite and/or contrast to create a visually dynamic piece?
- In what stylistic and/or expressive ways is the artist using relief, intaglio, or screenprinting techniques to create line, value, volume, shape, plane, scale, mass etc.
- Are the techniques used to create a focal point, capture a mood and ultimately create a relationship between form and content?
Important notes to include:
- Multiple layers of ink to produce dimension ( space)
- Oil based ink( which is different from today’s water based ink
- High saturated colors
- The use of color theory( red, blue, green as the dominant tone)