The topic assignment for the final essay is to assess the overall planning and management capabilities of three selected state agencies and one regional agency involved in water planning and distribution. The agencies are:
- The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
- The Texas Groundwater Coordinating Committee
- The Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife
- Lower Colorado River Authority
In looking at each of these agencies you should;
- Describe what each one does in regard to water.
- Identify the level of effort each one places on this function. Use budget figures and personnel allocations to bolster your comments on effort.
- Describe how each one is governed, including identifying the legal status of each.
- Describe how each agency deals with surface and groundwater (if applicable).
- Discuss any issues you uncover in the functions in any of these agencies.
Conclude your essay with:
- An assessment of their ability to deal with water planning and distribution issues.
- Any suggestions you have for improving water planning and distribution.
- Your assessment of what Texas may expect about water supply and distribution in the future.
All the agencies listed for inclusion in the essay have easily accessible websites. Some also publish newsletters which are informative about their operations. However, be sure to look at all websites and in-house publications with a critical eye. You may also use outside sources of information in your essay.